A fan letter sent by fan Jenny Rose to George Harrison, along with George’s reply. According to the site where I found this (iCollector.com), George’s reply is dated 27 November 1963, when The Beatles were performing at York’s Rialto Theatre.
For easier reading, I’ve typed it up with George’s responses bolded.
York, November 1963
I think it is easier if I return your questions with my answers written on them, to save writing it out again.
If you really want to marry me then send a photograph, as I can’t very well say yes without even seeing you, can I? I will see what can be arranged, but I think you had better ask your parents first.
Love from George xxx
A girl I know said she knew your home address. She told me what it was but I don’t think she really knew because I haven’t got any answer from anyone. She told it was [address crossed out] Liverpool [postcode crossed out]. Is it really that. I haven’t told anyone else in case it is.
If your mum really does live there then perhaps she sent you those two letters that I sent you. If not I will ask you what I asked in them. Here is a huge list of questions.
1. Does Ringo like macaroni in his socks? (private joke) NO
2. What happened in 1066? Battle of Harold!
3. What happened on Feb 25th 1943? Battle of George
4. How high are the heels you wear on your shoes? 3/4” off stage, 1 1/2” on stage
5. Do you still get your yearly illness? NO
6. Did you really stay at the Imperial Hotel in Stroud on Nov. 1st? NO
7. How can I fix a life size picture of you on my wall in a five inch by twelve inch gap? Cut it up
8. Do you like CLIFF? I do. Yes, he’s a friend of ours!
9. Why have you got one eyebrow up and one eyebrow down. I don’t know.
10. What is the man astride the flaming pie’s name? Joe
11. Hasn’t any one proposed to you yet? Yes. I want the great honour of being the first. Seriously though, I love you ever so much. I think that Paul is the best looking Beatle THANKS A LOT but I love you most. I like your eyebrows and your gap where you had your tooth out. ? (Which gap? Look AGAIN!) Will you marry me? MAYBE! I’m blonde, 5 ft. 7ins tall, blue eyes and slim. (Well, skinny then!) If you looked the world over you couldn’t find a girl who loved you more. As your answer is bound to be ‘No’ please at least write me a letter. It would be my most precious possession. I love you so much.
A girl I know is going to a party in Bradford and she says that a lot of stars are going, including you WRONG I think I believe her because she doesn’t boast about it. She knows ever so many stars and had me you behind stage at Cheltenham. She is called Judy. She’s ever so lucky. I don’t even know a very slightly famous star to speak to.
Do you ever realise how much your fans love you? NOT REALLY I bet you don’t. You don’t know how much we just live on ‘Twist + Shout’ or ‘A Taste of Honey’ or ‘She Loves You’, and pictures of you, and actually seeing you on the goggle box, and then seeing you in real flesh + blood on the stage. It was heaven when we saw you.
What do you think about this new Beatle religion thing? Are you going to do as the vicar suggests or not? NO. It should be queer going to church and hearing. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, wow, screech, ooooooohah, swooch, like the lovely row in Twist + Shout.
I just can’t think of anything else to say except I love you.
Please answer my letter.
Lots an’ lots an’ lots of love from a George-Fan who has very severe Harrisonitis
PS: My baby sister, nearly two, is crazy on you all, especially Ringo. If she hears a Liverpooly record she yells ‘Beagles’ and starts to twist madly. I think she is your youngest fan. She insists on kissing your pictures goodnight every night. She calls you Wingo, ‘orge, Paul and ‘don!
Please marry me cos I LOVESSS YOU